This site provides:
- Free parking for residents and visitors alike, with views towards the sea for those who are perhaps less mobile, or even someone who wishes to enjoy their lunchtime sandwich in a quiet, pleasant spot.
- Public toilet facilities that are used by passers-by and those having a day out on the beach.
- A recycling centre that takes items Lewes District Council household collections do not currently accept, such as TetraPaks.
Parking on the station approach at Bishopstone was recently restricted by East Sussex County Council and notices inside the station direct people to use the Buckle Car Park. Restricting parking facilities in the area even further by removing the Buckle Car Park will make it more difficult for commuters and ad-hoc travellers to park locally. This, in turn, may reduce the number of passengers using Bishopstone and thus increase the risk of that poorly maintained station being closed.
Personally, I have no objection to additional housing in Seaford but I am very concerned about the loss of local amenities at the proposed site.
If you are concerned by the proposal to replace Buckle Car Park with a housing development, then you can voice your protest by:
- Signing a petition on the 38 Degrees site … but be warned: they will use your email address to send you updates on other campaigns. There’s no opt-out box.
- Contacting Lewes District Council (more details).
- Attending the public consultation from 7-9pm, Wednesday 17th June, The Anzac Room, Meridian Centre, Peacehaven, BN10 8BB